This how-to will walk you through the process of ordering, validating, and retrieving a Personal Pro Email and ClientAuth Certificate from SSL.com.
1. Go to the product page for Business Email, Client Authentication, and Document Signing Certificates and click the Buy Now button.
2. Choose a duration for your certificate and click the Next >> button to add the certificate to your shopping cart.
3. In the shopping cart, you can change the quantity of certificates, remove them from your cart, or return to shopping with the Shop More button. When your order is complete and correct, click Checkout.
4. If you are not already logged into your SSL.com account or do not have an account yet, you will be prompted to login or create a new account at the Checkout screen. If you have an account, select I do and I want to log in now, enter your username and password, then click the Next >> button.
5. If you do not have an SSL.com account, select I do NOT but I want to create one, fill in the requested information (username, email address, password, and billing information), then click the Next >> button.
6. If your account contains existing funds, they will be applied to your purchase. If your account does not contain sufficient funds, you will be prompted to add more. Click the Next >> button when your account has sufficient funds to complete the transaction.
7. If your order has been successfully placed, you will see a green alert near the top of the browser window, reading “Order successfully placed…” Click the Click here link under Show Order Transaction or the green order number beginning with “co-” in the order details.
8. Enter recipient information (First Name, Last Name, and Email Address), then click Next>>. You can also choose previously-saved information by using the Saved Recipients drop-down menu.
9. Next, upload files to validate your identity. For Personal Pro certificates, please send images of the front and back of a government-issued photo ID, plus a photograph of yourself holding the ID next to your face. Each photograph should be at least 5 megapixels in size (most current smartphone cameras are 8-12 megapixels). Use the Choose Files button to browse for files.
10. When you are done adding files, click the Submit button.
11. You will be returned to a page with information about the certificate order. There should be a green alert at the top of the screen indicating that your documents were successfully uploaded. Note that your order will have the status of pending validation until the information you submitted has been validated.
12. When the documents you uploaded have been validated by our staff, the recipient address (specified in step 8 above) will receive an email with a link to collect the certificate. Click the link.
13. Click the Generate Certificate button to generate a new certificate signing request (CSR), certificate, and private key.
14. Text fields containing the new CSR, certificate, and private key will appear.
15. To download a PFX file containing your new certificate and private key to your computer, create a password of 6 characters or more, then click the Download button. Remember this password. You will need it when you install the certificate and key on your computer. Also, it is very important that you keep your private key secure and do not lose it. SSL.com does not ever see or handle your private keys and cannot help you recover a lost key (it will be generated in your browser, on your own computer). Without your private key you will not be able to digitally sign email or read email that has been encrypted with your public key. Even worse, anyone with your private key will be able to assume your identity for signing email messages and client authentication.
If everything has gone correctly, your new certificate and private key are now ready for installation. If you need more help or information, please contact us by email at Support@SSL.com, call 1-877-SSL-Secure, or just click the chat link at the bottom right of this screen. And, as always, thank you for choosing SSL.com!