Sole Proprietorships and Their Impact on Extended Validation for Code Signing Qualification
Introduction:Extended Validation Code Signing Certificates (EVCS) provide the highest level of validation available. The process of getting approved goes beyond the standard validation methods. Acquiring an EVCS helps boost organizational confidence by providing industry-leading identity assurance. For example, once issued, EV Code Signing Certificates receive automatic trust from Microsoft, bypassing the trust warning that unsigned apps get.
Sole Proprietor Challenges:Sole Proprietorship is problematic for Extended Validation Code Signing Certificates. Most Sole Proprietors do not register their companies with a government entity. This practice creates a validation problem. Without proof of existence with a city, county, state, or federal agency, Sole Proprietorships will not meet the requirements for Extended Validation.
Remedy:SSL.com’s remedy is to add a Personal Identity Verification Form which, along with the other standard EV requirements, will enable a sole proprietorship to meet the requirements for an EV certificate. This form requires either a notary seal with a currently registered notary, a registered CPA seal, or an active attorney signature. Combined with the other validation steps, the additional form adds a layer that will suffice for compliance, auditing, and security purposes.
- To begin the process, go to this link: Sole Proprietor EV Code Signing Certificate.
- After the order is placed, you will need to provide the documents typically required for an Extended Validation code signing certificate. Visit here for the EV code signing forms and requirements.
- In addition to the Extended Validation forms, a Sole Proprietorship is also required to submit a Personal Identification form that must be notarized.
- Assessing your Applicant Eligibility
- Conducting a Review of the Denied or Blocked List
- Reviewing for High-Risk Status
- Verifying your organization’s legal existence and identity
- Ensuring your physical existence
- Verifying contact information
- Performing call-back verifications
- Conducting a third-party validation via lawyer, CPA, or Notary.
- Reviewing required photo ID.
- For deeper information, please refer to this web page:
- The online application will guide you through the process.
- For questions, please reach out to the SSL.com support team. https://www.ssl.com/contact_us/
- Requested information can be submitted in multiple ways.
- The most effective way is to create a service ticket through https://www.ssl.com/submit-a-ticket.
- Scan and attach the forms to the online service ticket, including the Certificate Order Number.
- If you have an SSL.com Customer Portal Account, simple instructions on uploading information will be made available as you work through the application process.
How to Contact SSL.com:
- Online via our website/chat line, which appears in the lower right corner of the website. Https://SSL.com
- Call us direct: 1-775-237-8434
- Email: email@example.com