This how-to will walk you through the process of ordering and retrieving code signing certificates from SSL.com.
1. Navigate to Code Signing >> Code Signing Certificate on the SSL.com website’s navigation menu. If you wish to purchase an Extended Validation (EV) certificate, navigate to Code Signing >> Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate.
2. Click one of the two Buy Now! buttons, located at the right side and bottom of the screen.
3. Choose the duration of the certificate you wish to purchase, then click Add To Cart.
4. When the shopping cart page opens, check that your order is correct. If you want to purchase more than one of the certificates you selected, you can change the quantity via the drop-down menu in the Quantity column, or save your cart for later and continue shopping by clicking Shop More. When your order is correct and you are ready to check out, click Checkout.
5. If you are not already logged into your SSL.com account or do not have an account yet, you will be prompted to log in or create a new account at the Checkout screen. If you have an account, select I do and I want to log in now, enter your username and password, then click Next >>.
6. If you do not have an SSL.com account, select I do NOT but I want to create one, fill in the requested information (username, email address, password, and billing information), then click Next >>.
7. If your account contains existing funds, they will be applied to your purchase. If your account does not contain sufficient funds, you will be prompted to add more. Click Next >> when your account has sufficient funds to complete the transaction.
8. If your order has been successfully placed, you will see a green bar near the top of the browser window, reading “Order successfully placed. Click here to finish processing your ssl.com certificates.” Click the link.
9. On the screen that opens, find your certificate order, then click the provide info link, located in the Action column.
10. Enter the requested registrant information, then click Next >>.
11. On the next screen, click + Create Contact and then fill in the on-screen form and click Create to add a contact to the order. You must create at least one contact for the certificate, but you can also add more if desired.
12. When you are finished adding contacts, click Next >>.
13. On the next screen, upload up to five documents verifying the identity of your organization or company, such as utility bills, articles of incorporation, or other documents that prove the existence of the organization. So that we can verify a telephone number for the callback step (below), please also include a telephone bill or directory listing that associates the entity to be verified with the number we will call. For information on acceptable forms of documentation for both organizations and individuals, please consult our FAQ on documentation requirements for OV certificates. When you are done adding files, click Submit.
14. When you have submitted your documents, your new certificate will have a status of pending validation until we verify the information you’ve submitted, including your telephone number.
16. Next, click the Perform Callback link, located at the lower left of the page.
17. A dialog box will appear. Enter one or more email addresses to send the callback link to, and then click the Send button.
18. A green alert message will appear, verifying that the callback links have been sent.
19. When your callback email arrives, click the link in it.
20. After clicking the link, a callback verification form will open in your web browser. To initiate a call to your verified phone number from our automated system immediately, just click the Call Now button. You can choose between a voice call and SMS text by using the radio buttons at the bottom of the form. Finally, by using the Callback Types drop-down menu, you can choose to schedule an automated call at a later time via the Scheduled Callback option, or schedule a direct call from a member of our staff by choosing Manual Callback. If you choose one of these options, form elements for scheduling the call will appear dynamically. (For more information on these options, please refer to our how-to on Callbacks for OV Certificates.)
21. After clicking Call Now, a form for verification code entry will appear. When you receive your call it will include the code. Enter the four-digit code and then click the Verify Phone button.
22. If everything has gone correctly, an alert message will appear in your browser confirming that callback verification is complete.
23. After a successful callback, SSL.com will send you a Certificate Activation Link email message. Follow the link included in it, which will take you to the certificate generation page. Alternately, you can click the generate certificate link in the Action column of the Orders tab in your SSL.com account.
24. Click the Generate Certificate button.
25. Your certificate is ready! You can copy and paste your certificate and private key from the on-screen fields, or generate a PFX file by creating a password and clicking download. Your password must be at least 6 characters. Remember this password, because you will need it when installing the certificate on your computer. It is also essential that you keep your private key in a secure location and do not lose it.
26. You can now install your Code Signing certificate on your computer. If you need assistance with any of the above steps with installation and use of your certificate, please contact us at Support@SSL.com, 1-SSL-Certificate (1-775-237-8434) or just use the Live Chat option at the bottom right of this page.