Organization Validation (OV) and Individual Validation (IV) certificates – also known as High Assurance certificates – require validation of an organization’s or individual’s identity and address before issuance.
- For website owners, an SSL.com High Assurance certificate gives visitors to your site an extra level of confidence in your web presence and your product.
- Some other types of certificates, such as Code Signing and NAESB certificates, always require OV or IV before issuance.
Documents for Validation
- In order to validate and issue an OV or IV certificate, SSL.com must verify your identity, physical address, and telephone number via verifiable online resources and/or valid verification documents.
- The exact documentation required differs depending on whether the applicant is a business or organization, or an individual. Use the clickable tabs below to view these options:
For businesses or organizations valid options are:
- A link to a government agency in the jurisdiction of the Applicant’s legal creation, existence, or recognition.
- For example, a company doing business in Alaska but incorporated in Nevada would need to appear in a search of Nevada businesses.
- A link verifying your information in a third party database that is periodically updated and considered a Reliable Data Source. Examples include:
If the above only verifies your identity, we may verify your address separately using:
- The articles of incorporation for the business
- A government-issued business license
- A copy of a recent company bank statement (please blacken out the account number)
- A copy of a recent company phone bill
- A copy of a recent major utility bill of the company (i.e. power bill, water bill, etc.) or a current lease agreement for the company
- A scan of a photo ID issued by a government agency (e.g. driver’s license or passport) in the jurisdiction of the Applicant’s residence.
- A 5 MP or greater photograph of the Applicant holding the ID from step 1 next to their face, so that both the photo and the face can be seen and compared.
- A copy of a recent major utility bill (telephone, power bill, water bill, etc.) or bank statement in the applicant’s name. Please make sure that the document includes a telephone number where we can reach you for the callback step of validation.
- Alternately, you may supply a completed Face-to-Face document with attorney/accountant signature.
We will contact you by phone after the information above is reviewed. A successful contact via a verified telephone number is required to issue an OV or IV certificate. For OV, please use a telephone number associated with the organization in your validation documents (e.g. not a personal cel phone number). Please read our how-to on Callbacks for OV Certificates for full information on this procedure. After a successful callback, your certificate will be issued, and you will be notified by email when it is available.
As always, contact us at SSL.com if you have any questions whatsoever. Email Support@SSL.com, call 1-877-SSL-SECURE, or just click the chat link at the bottom right of this page.