Organization Validation (OV) and Individual Validation (IV) certificates – also known as High Assurance certificates – require validation of an organization’s or individual’s identity and address before issuance.
- For website owners, an SSL.com High Assurance certificate gives visitors to your site an extra level of confidence in your web presence and your product.
- Some other types of certificates, such as Code Signing and NAESB certificates, always require OV or IV before issuance.
Documents for Validation
- In order to validate and issue an OV or IV certificate, SSL.com must verify your identity, physical address, and telephone number via verifiable online resources and/or valid verification documents.
- The exact documentation required differs depending on whether the applicant is a business or organization, or an individual. Use the clickable tabs below to view these options:
For businesses or organizations valid options are:
- A link to a government agency in the jurisdiction of the Applicant’s legal creation, existence, or recognition.
- For example, a company doing business in Alaska but incorporated in Nevada would need to appear in a search of Nevada businesses.
- A link verifying your information in a third party database that is periodically updated and considered a Reliable Data Source. Examples include:
If the above only verifies your identity, we may verify your address separately using:
- The articles of incorporation for the business
- A government-issued business license
- A copy of a recent company bank statement (please blacken out the account number)
- A copy of a recent company phone bill
- A copy of a recent major utility bill of the company (i.e. power bill, water bill, etc.) or a current lease agreement for the company
- A scan of a photo ID issued by a government agency (e.g. driver’s license or passport) in the jurisdiction of the Applicant’s residence.
- A 5 MP or greater photograph of the Applicant holding the ID from step 1 next to their face, so that both the photo and the face can be seen and compared.
- A copy of a recent major utility bill (telephone, power bill, water bill, etc.) or bank statement in the applicant’s name. Please make sure that the document includes a telephone number where we can reach you for the callback step of validation.
- Alternately, you may supply a completed Face-to-Face document with attorney/accountant signature.
We will contact you by phone after the information above is reviewed. A successful contact via a verified telephone number is required to issue an OV or IV certificate. For OV, please use a telephone number associated with the organization in your validation documents (e.g. not a personal cel phone number). Please read our how-to on Callbacks for OV Certificates for full information on this procedure. After a successful callback, your certificate will be issued, and you will be notified by email when it is available.